Friday, November 26, 2004

FRIENDSHIP POETRY

In school I used to read these poem, and I had loved them then, and now after so many years, they’re still my favourites when it comes to friendship.

IF YOU BUT KNEW!!!

If you but knew,
How all my days seemed filled with dreams of you,
How sometimes in the silent night,
Your eyes thrill through me wih their tender light,
How oft I hear your voice when others speak,
How you ‘mid other forms I seek_________
Oh, love more real than though such dreams were true
If you but knew,

Could you but guess,
How you alone make all my happiness,
How I am more than willing for your sake,
To stand alone, give all and nothing take,
Nor chafe to think you bound while I am free,
Quite free, till death, to love you silently,
Could you but guess

Could you but learn,
How when you doubt my truth I sadly yearn,
To tell you all, to stand for one brief space,
Unfettered, soul to soul, as face to face;
My lover,and likewise truest friend,
Would you love me, dearest, as fondly in return.
Could you but learn?

TO A FRIEND!!!

You entered my life in a casual way,
And saw at a glance what I needed;
There were others who passed me or met me each day,
But never a one of them heeded,
Perhaps you were thinking of other folks more,
Or chance simply seemed to decree it,
I know there were many such chances before,
But others well, they didn’t see it.

You said just the thing I wished you would say,
And you made me believe you meant it,
I held up my head in the old gallant way,
And resolved you should never repent it
There are times when encouragement means such a lot;
And a word is enough to convey it;
There were others who could have, as easy as not__
But just the same, they didn’t say it.

There may have been someone who could have done more,
To help me along, though I doubt it,
What I needed was cheering, and always before
They had let me plod onward without it
You helped to refreshen the dream of my heart,
And made me turn eagerly to it,
There were others who might have(I question that part)
But after all, they didn’t do it.
( by: GRACE STRICKER DAWSON)

1 Comments:

Blogger Srini said...

Beautiful words Shaffy. Thanks for posting it here. Simple yet lovely. :)

December 7, 2004 at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home